Lately I think that life would be better if we weren't so attached to the idea of privacy. I think we all cling on to "privacy" too much. I think this because I think that we as humans do many things which we consider weird that we don't like to admit too but the longer I live the more I suspect that everyone does weird things. I bet you would find that an overwhelming majority of humans do the same thing. Thus, it shouldn't be considered weird if almost everyone does it. Yet everyone just pretends that they don't do it, or won't admit to it.
What if all of our secret behaviors/likes/dislikes/hobbies/etc. were known? What if our problems were known? At first it seems like if somehow all of our dirty laundry were suddenly ripped from us and strewn everywhere it would be unbearingly embarrassing, and it would, if someone was completely exposed to a world where everyone kept under wraps. But imagine if suddenly, all at once, you could know every tiny thing about any given person at any moment and they could know the same about you. It would be scary to have everything readily available to everyone else, but then they would be readily available to you. I theorize also, that at that point, whatever it was that we felt embarrassed about and that we felt we had to hide wouldn't be that embarrassing if everyone all at once was exposed. We would realize that it isn't that embarrassing because most people would have the same thing or something similar or worse.
Then I think society would be much healthier and we could actually deal with problems.
It's tricky though because it's kind of like one of those situations where everyone has their gun pointed at everyone else and no one wants to be the first to put down their gun. It would be better if everyone put down their gun at once but no one wants to risk that if they put down their gun then no one else would put down their gun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

another analogy like the guns is like everyone wants to BE in a food fight, but no one wants to be the one accused of starting it.
ReplyDeletei've always felt like weird is such an odd term...if one were really thought to be perfectly "normal", they'd be so incredibly boring that no one would care. actually...it would be weird. hahha.
ReplyDeletelet's have a weird revolution and take power and make all the normal people see that they're actually the weird ones.
ReplyDelete