Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Embarrassing
Lately I feel like I realize that embarrassing things are only embarrassing if you allow yourself to be embarrassed by it. A few weeks ago I accidentally went to the wrong apartment thinking that it was Nathan's. I realized that it wasn't the right apartment and then said to the kid, "Wait, is this number 8?" He said, "No, this is 6". I laughed and said, "oh, how embarrassing" but I didn't actually feel embarrassed and walked out and didn't let it get to me. I think it's only embarrassing if all of a sudden your self-confidence crumbles. Then it gets very uncomfortable for everyone. Yet letting your self-confidence crumble is actually your choice. You may be conditioned to let it crumble in classically embarrassing situations but if you don't actually let it crumble then it's not actually embarrassing and you don't feel pathetic and thus don't get perceived as pathetic which is why you are embarrassed in the first place. The embarrassing situation doesn't cause the embarrassment but your response to the embarrassing situation causes it. I'd like to think that people would think, "Wow, that guy is in an embarrassing situation yet I don't feel uncomfortable because he doesn't seem uncomfortable" and I'd like to think that I'm right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i learned in my psych class freshman year that embarrassment is a learned emotion; we are not born to be embarrassed.
ReplyDelete