Saturday, October 2, 2010

Secret (Crotch) Crusher (Double Meanings! Get it?!)

Sometimes I'd like to imagine that someone who has never met me, or maybe, someone who is acquainted with someone I know but who I've never actually met reads the stuff I write and has a secret crush on me.

I feel like our society is in an interesting position right now because I think that things like Facebook and Blogs have become part of our culture, yet we keep saying words like Facebook stalk and Blog stalk. Personally, if someone I doesn't know likes to check out my Facebook or Blog, I am flattered and don't consider it stalking. Yet we all keep acting like we have to be ashamed of it. Maybe if you started sending me pictures of a high heel stomping on a testicle (based on a true story that happened to me) with menacing subject lines, then yes, I would say you have gone too far and are now in the area of "stalking." Or if you started relentlessly messaging me without me ever responding, then that would be "stalking." Obviously those are extreme behaviors, and obviously, extreme behaviors are undesirable in any circumstance and aren't the product of Facebook or Blogs, they are the product of crazy people who'd be crazy with or without modern technology. So let's stop comparing ourselves to them for a behavior that I'm pretty sure is normal. I don't feel that perusing the Facebook/Blog of someone I don't actually know/know well is "stalking" because that's just what we do these days. And if I really felt you were invading my privacy by doing so I would put a password on my Blog or put some serious privacy restrictions on my Facebook, or not post pictures on Facebook, or just write in a private journal, etc.

Anyways, secret cyber crusher-on-me, if you exist or will exist sometime in the future, I give you full permission to read my blog as much as you want.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your permission ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For about 45 seconds I thought I really did have a secret cyber crush coming out of the woodworks. Then I told Barret and he said, "Oh. It's Marion."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Sorry to spoil the fun. Maybe I should have used a secret alias and run with it. Too late now.. Or is it?

    ReplyDelete