No, Facebook Does Not Make You Narcissistic
I think this is very interesting, and while not directly related to my last post, I think it's somewhat relevant. Mostly because it points out that Facebook is not causing or creating new (undesirable) human behavior, it is just a tool allowing humans to behave (the same) in new ways. Basically, it is just a tool allowing humans to bring focus to an aspect of normal human behavior that hasn't had as much focus as before. At least, that's what I feel. Also, I like the point he makes about the fact that the criteria to define narcissism is probably differing between those citing the data.
Basically, I just hate when something new comes along and everyone suddenly jumps on a point-out-negative-things-about-this-new-thing bandwagon. Because usually what they are pointing out are faults in human behavior that existed before said new thing appeared. I also hate shows like Dateline. Even when they make a point that I somewhat agree with, I always disagree with the way they've made it because it's overly simplified and presented on a very shallow level, which can create strong emotion in (non critically thinking) viewers without giving them a sound understanding of the problem. And zeal without knowledge is always a bad combination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment