When I was in high school I always remember feeling frustrated/confused at times when people would portray/communicate one thing to me about their current love interest and then I would see them interacting with said love interest and see them communicate something completely different to them.
I have two theories to explain this:
1. Human relationships can be incredibly complex and while one may feel frustration/hurt/anger/resentment towards their love interest (which gets emphasized when they communicate to a 3rd party) and also love/connection/whatever-the-hell-you-call-it towards their love interest (which they emphasize when communicate to them). Thus it seems inconsistent, but really they feel both things at the same time.
2. People are just full of shit. And just can't stand to let people know what they really feel because they feel some sort of responsibility to obey some sort of non-existent perceived social rules that says they can't. So they just bullshit their love interest to protect their feelings from reality so their love interest can just keep clinging to a false delusion instead of experiencing life, moving on, and continuing to experience more of life.
This also makes me wonder if sometimes we get frustrated at other people's seemingly inconsistent behavior because we don't understand what we've communicated to that person. Their behavior may seem inconsistent with what we think of them but it is actually consistent with what we've let that person think we think of them. But we don't realize it because we don't realize how poorly we've communicated our feelings to them.
Also note: I realize that I am guilty of the said behaviors above also and I'm not trying to say that I'm not. I hope no one feels like I am condemning them or passively aggressively attacking them on here. I am just saying what I think but I realize also at times, although I strive to, I may not always live up to my own principles and I don't want to pretend like I do. Anyways, the point is, don't feel like I'm saying, "I don't like how you do this" because I'm really saying "I don't like how we, collectively, do this". Myself included.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment