Monday, March 1, 2010

Mischief

Today I was reminded of something I read a few months ago.
Misbehaving, or acting in ways we'd normally deem improper, can be good for our souls. It can boost our mood, leave us with a sense of liberation, get our creative juices flowing, and make for great memories. Although some people may misbehave too often, or even construct truly transgressive "double" lives, the rest of us are often overly fearful about breaking behavioral boundaries. For routine-oriented types in particular, modest misbehavior can have some very positive results. By exposing us to new and different ways of doing things and of presenting ourselves to the world, it can start a chain reaction resulting in more success and happiness.

-Wholesome Guide to Misbehaving, Psychology Today

Today we showed up at a big combined FHE thing and we played various group games and suddenly halfway through I was filled with the biggest desire to start finding subtle ways to cheat and/or just cheat the system in general. For example, switching teams during the hustle and bustle at random with no one noticing, lying about my assignment in the "Salad" game just to see if anyone would notice and other general mischief. I realize that these behaviors in other serious situations are not good, but in these kinds of inconsequential situations are incredibly entertaining. During the whole thing I found subtle ways to smudge rules here and there but unfortunately as soon as I decided to go all out the whole game was over. However, I did learn that this quote of general misbehaving can be true, sometimes just doing something out of the ordinary energizes us.

I realized that many times I take the wrong approach in things in which I am only just surviving. So many times I go to FHE and participate some and then just get bored and sort of zone out. But at this, I suddenly was infused with this desire to take the situation and find every possible way to make it exciting and then suck every ounce of fun out of it that I could. I think that is the best approach to life.

1 comment: